Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Gluten free UK - gluten free London

As I meet more and more coeliacs I thought it might be helpful to collect some gf intel for my blog. Feel free to add within the comments section or send me an email and I will post it. Cheers!

GF websites:
- gluten free London facebook group
- charity for coeliacs website
- gluten free London blog

GF supermarkets and what to find where:
- Wholefoods near High Street Kensington tube station: they have gf beer! :)
- Sainsbury: gf naan and much more
- big Tescos: great bread "genius" and "ener-G"
- Waitrose: have not been there, yet

GF restaurants:
- Giraffe: it's a chain. They have an allergy information menu which leaves you quite a choice
- Hell: This is a pub that serves gf pizza and it tastes like Pizza. WOW! Finally! They import the dough base from New Zealand. :) And they deliver as well...
- imli: Indian tapas AND they have a gf menu! :) I had some problems after but I don't dare to blame imli for it...
- Italian cotto: They have gf Pizza, Pasta and Tiramisu... If you are a coeliac and you enter the place you get a very special and warm welcome by the owner. They do have two completely separate kitchens. I met a Belgium guy who had not eaten Pizza for 8 years. He was so happy! Unfortunately, the restaurant is closed 22.8.-7.9. But you should definitely give it a try!
- Japan Centre: Really good sushi: they prepare you gf Sushi if you ask.
- Market THAI in Nottinghill: now they know! :) The staff is quite helpful and the food is good and cheap
- Preto: Brazilian Steakhouse: You have to ask someone to talk you through the buffet, but honestly: it's all about meat and that's gf! :)
- Roka: they know what gluten is and prepare each dish gf if you ask. Good quality Japanese food!
- Table d'Hôte du Palais Royal: this is a really good restaurant that looks like it used to be a brothel. I ate my first Foie Gras there. The chef said she was sorry she did not have gf bread. So cute. Okay, to be honest - it's in Paris. :P
- Thai Café and Restaurant: Really good Thai food! Ask for gluten and wheat free dishes! The food is definitely worth the effort!
- Thai Metro: really good Thai food. I just mentioned I was a celiac and the waitre created a dish for me out of his head - amazing and delicious. Reminded me of the bok mafia chain in Hamburg which is also amazing!

No comments: