Saturday, September 05, 2009

Trafalgar Square: the 4th plinth

I have found my favourite spot in London - apart from areas like Camden, Islington, Notting Hill, ... that are really nice - one of my favourite London sights is the 4th plinth on Trafalgar Square. At nights the atmosphere reminds me a little bit of the DC memorials...

At the moment there is a modern art project taking place called "One & Other" taking place on the 4th plinth. "The Fourth Plinth is the name given to the empty plinth in the north-west corner of Trafalgar Square in London. It was originally designed by Sir Charles Barry and built in 1841 to display an equestrian statue. There were not enough funds available at the time to create a statue and so the plinth was sometimes referred to as the 'empty plinth'." Read more here.



Check out this video - the youtube description reads: "A man faints next to the plinth, a performer 'loses' his biclycle, and a helicopter lands on the square" I am so sorry I missed this performance...

No comments: