Thursday, January 01, 2009

2008 - a review

January 2008
The year did not start too well. I caught a bad flu and my grandma broke her hip. Later that month, I went hunting with a close friend for my application coverage for the Deutsche Journalistenschule in Munich. In the end, it did not work out but I had fun being out door with Claus and learning a lot about nature and animals. I also had a great weekend with some Naumann fellows in Berlin...

crazy night out in Berlin with Jule and Alex

February

For the first time I went to Cologne to celebrate Carnival with my cousin Anja. My mum designed me a Little red riding hood costume. Besides, I went to Sheffield to visit and fetch my lil sis Nina from her too short Erasmus experience.


March
The Hamburg Media School offered me to take my MBA there. Back in Münster, I handed in my final thesis of my degree and stepped into another time stealing experience...

the Hamburg Media School

April

I went to Potsdam to welcome the new Naumann fellows - a task that I totally enjoyed for the last time. This year, the Naumann ball was in Bamberg, where I reunited with the incredible Johanna and had a good time with the incredible Lara.

the incredible Markus - not to be forgotten

May

Quite spontaneously I went to celebrate the beginning of May with Anja and her boyfriend in Cologne and Bonn. Some good friends, like Matze, came to see me on my last days in Münster and I spent some sunny days at Münster's harbour with my new, almost American friend Sebastian. I went to Berlin to finally get my visa - just in time. The BusinessContactsMünster fare was one of the highlights at work with my amiable colleagues. The Symposium Oeconomicum Muenster took place on my birthday. Nevertheless, I spent all day there, surrounded by many friends, trying myself as a movie star. On May, 21st, I finished my degree with a really good final oral exam and partied all night at the Wiwi Cup 2008. I moved out of my flat and left for 2 1/2 crazy months in Washington DC - to reunite with my Spanish friends Raquel and Maria, make more friends for life and intern at the Representative of German Industry and Trade.

my farewell party

Though work was neither challenging nor comforting, I soon started to like my life in the world's capital. There is so much there you can occupy yourself with: Georgetown, Adams Morgan, U Street area, a lot of sights, memorials and the zoo, attending events from unis and think tanks, enjoying the sun at the pool, travelling the east coast... Besides, the Euro Cup was a kind of big thing in the US, too, and Germany did quite well. I met Condoleezza Rice, toured the White House twice (East Wing and West Wing), and went to the farewell party of the Spanish Ambassador...

an alcoholic calumet with mi chicas espanolas after a deserved Spanish victory

July

Time flew by in DC. Some of my new friends like Alicia already left DC and I hated to say goodbye. After celebrating a funny but rainy 4th of July, I went on a crazy road trip to Ocean City with some friends and discovered American ignorance "we can fake European IDs - 'cause WE have the technology..." Getting the injection I needed in July was another nerve-racking adventure but with a lot of international support I finally succeeded, and yet, the American Security Measures seem not what they claim to be... One of the highlights of my summer was the weekend in NY. Wow, I loved that city. Its only half as stressful as you expect it to be and amazingly beautiful.

walking through Manhattan

August

The trip to Colonial Beach was definitely worth being filmed. Flo, Rakel, Maria, Cindy and me spent the most hilarious day (and nite) somewhere in Virginia - totally lost looking for blue dogs and white elephants. I was counting my days in DC feeling sad for leaving my friends, but a little bit happy for leaving the depressing and absurd atmosphere at work. During a stay in Boston I debated on whether I prefer Harvard or the MIT - its def the MIT thanks to our wonderful tour guide Daniel who loves to be quoted in my blog. I went to my first baseball game which I surprisingly enjoyed but could not watch it till the end 'cause all the others wanted to leave and we missed the first home run. On my last night, my new friends managed to give me a night to remember... at least I did not lose my eyesight.


I settled in Hamburg and got myself accustomed to my new flat - living on my own for the first time. On the 6th, I went to my first wedding: Matze and Angela married. A lot of close friends like Christoph, Anis and Jule visited me and together we discovered Germany's second largest city. Finally, school started.

a real "Maltesian" in Hamburgo

October
My new uni started smoothly - with math and excel classes and a lot of welcome events... I made new friends whenever the timetable allowed this. Instead of Halloween, I went to Munich to receive my scholarship certificate after four years of Friedrich-Naumann-Stiftung.


When Obama was elected US President, I was at a great party of the renowned Bucerius Law School, but I wished I could have been in DC. Exams and presentations were approaching but I still enjoyed Hamburg City night life which seemed to attract people from everywhere. Plus, my parents came to see me. On November, 19th, the Hamburg Media School celebrated its 5th birthday at a place with a great view at the harbour.


Timo, me, Mia and Conny @ the Hamburg Media School graduation party


December
Apart from studying day and night, I met some very interesting alumni students of my new uni. Our presentations were quite successful and motivated us to keep on surviving. My doctor finally found out what caused me losing weight: coeliac disease. A relief to finally know and being able to deal with but also a great change of my eating habits. And suddenly, it was Christmas. I enjoyed being with my family and had a great New Year's party with new and old friends.


See you all in 2009!

No comments: