Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My home is my castle

I have been living in a couple of crazy flat-sharing communities before. The first and maybe craziest one: of course my own family. In 2005, I moved to Nottingham to live with people among who I was the only European (back then Romania had not joined the EU, yet). In Muenster, I lived with Michael who constantly reminded me that I should follow his example and study instead of going out far too often - we were both finishing our degrees back then. 2007, I spent two months with Raquel's family as a kind of adopted child - I realised that when Mama Carmen offered to wash my underwear the day I moved in. Last summer in DC I shared a room (!) with a girl from Mumbai and then later with my blue French Sophie. In Hamburg - for the first time in my life - I actually lived alone! And I survived.

Now, I live with three girls in a beautiful flat in West Ken - and I am loving it!

Jo, who went flat hunting for our precious home is our mum although being the youngest one among us. She is only 20 but already working for Freshfields, Bakers and the lot. I know she will be either First Lady or President herself one day. She is also responsible for all the Ivy League student champagne brunches on hangover Sunday mornings. For now, she teaches me how to cook delicious meals and always takes care of my gluten free diet. I am gonna miss her loads when she leaves at the end of this month.

Katharina, who does not want to be called "Kati" is my next door neighbour. She is the best conspirator whenever you are on a dodgy Sherlock Holmes' mission and you don't know where to start from. Also, she puts you down to earth again whenever you get caught in a self-induced drama which happens probably once a week to either one of us.

Halloooo? Ashley is our Princeton princess from Texas, Houston! She takes care that we speak English or Chinese only. She is a crazy red haired girl who plans to go into the film business. We share some future dream in which I am going to provide her with a screenplay she is gonna turn into a great film. Maybe I could write about my encounter with David Hasselhoff or George W. Bush who she both knows through her parents' country club. Let's see!

Ashley (right) with her German boot camp drill instructors...

No comments: