Friday, June 27, 2008

Kati nach hause telefonieren!

I never feel homesick. I love being abroad. I even think it’s funny that my room smells Indian (– it would not be funny, if I'd share it with a smelly German person).

Although I don’t want to stick around with many other folks I don’t mind being part of a group that is 99 per cent Spanish. Whenever Raquel is on the phone she says, she is with Diana from US, Anis from Malta and the Spanish (including me, although Diana knows much more Spanish than I do).

I don’t like talking German all day at work and I even email some German friends of mine in English. I love talking English all day and I sometimes realize that I think in English, e. g. when I walk home drunk and silently talk to myself and enter the code of my room twentyonesomething...

Since Sunday, there is another German girl in the house. I threatened all my international friends not to give away my nationality, because I did not want to take care of her and being German might have involved that... you never know... But since life is sweet and ironic, I had to talk to her yesterday because I needed a German favour. This time, my laptop did not make trouble; it was rather something medical that no other person could help me with. She turned out to be nicer and much more cooperative than I would have ever been towards her.

The only time I really miss home right now is the Eurocup! Who would have thought we might finally gonna make it this time? And of course its fun cheering at the Goethe Institute in Chinatown, and of course I am wearing my one-Euro-plastic-flower-necklace and see black, yellow and red colours everywhere around me. They even provide us with free German beer (Becks). But it’s not the same. Even in old conservative Münster, there are thousands (!) of ppl going crazy at the roundabouts for hours. Not me alone here getting killed by twenty Spanish if we win on Sunday.

I miss you, Germany – for the first time!

No comments: